Will Print Coupons Disappear in 2022
SAVING - COUPONS
Published On: April 03, 2022
Since that small piece of paper in 1888, the retail world hasn't been the same, and we've come a long way.
Coupons have taken on a new look as a result of technological advancements, making it easier than ever for buyers to save money. The ability to get coupons from the internet, print them, and redeem them in stores was the first step. Then followed the wave of digital coupons that could be loaded through an app or linked to an existing loyalty card account, eliminating the need for printing.
The CEO of Quotient Technology, which owns the coupon company, has made a big prediction that print coupons will disappear in 2022. The company began with printed coupons, but has subsequently shifted its focus to digital and would be delighted if everyone else followed suit.
Impact on Print Coupons due to Pandemic:
According to a shopper poll, the most popular coupon categories were domestic products, restaurants & delivery, and groceries shopping
As people tried to avoid stores to maintain social distance during the global coronavirus pandemic, digital purchasing exploded. As job losses and goods shortages affect daily life, discounts during online purchasing have become even more significant..
According to market research firm Inmar Intelligence, digital coupon redemptions in the United States overtook redemptions of the most frequent type of printable coupons for the first time in the second quarter, due to more individuals purchasing online.
As the digital shift continues, pandemic-related phenomena such as the increase of shopping apps and the digital coupons are predicted to gain even traction. Following a year of turmoil caused by the pandemic, businesses are relying more on current consumers to generate growth, including through coupon-based loyalty programs.
Coupons are used for big savings for customers! You can print them, show your phone screen to a cashier for credit, or add a coupon code to your online shopping cart. Coupons are simpler to come by than ever before, and the wise among us are making use of them regularly to save money.
- Coupons are used by 94% of consumers in 2020.
- In 2020, 87% of low-income families, 86% of middle-income families, and 85% of rich families admit to hunting for bargains.
- 62% of shoppers look through store circulars for coupons in 2020 that match the products on their shopping list.
- 67% of people do unplanned shopping because of a coupon or discount in 2020.
- 39% of customers shop from brands other than their usual preference because of a coupon by 2020.
- While shopping in-store, 50% of customers used digital coupons in 2021.
- In 2022, print coupon redemptions are expected to disappear according to different experts.
Is it Still Relevant for Retailers to use Print Coupons in a Digital World?
Even in today's digitally dominated world, retailers and manufacturers continue to give print coupons. While buyers have been anxious to adopt technology in other aspects of their lives, it appears that print coupons are still in use, with 55% of consumers claiming to utilize both digital and print coupons.
Stacking or combining a digital coupon with a manufacturer coupon is also an option for savvy buyers with printable coupons. Coupons from manufacturers are frequently clipped from newspapers or printed from the company's website. The chance to increase their savings provides shoppers more options, and they'll purchase at stores that accept stacking coupons.
The Latest Statistics on the use of Print Coupons:
After the growth of digital coupons over the last few years, print coupons have not been abandoned and their usage has declined. Print coupons aren't redeemed as often as digital ones.
Print coupons are preferred by retailers and manufacturers because they provide a better return on investment than digital coupons.
- When it comes to print coupons, 44% prefer to cut them out of the newspaper, while 34% are fine with printing them themselves from the internet.
- According to the report, 96% of millennial parents and 92% of other millennials utilize coupons daily, in both print and digital formats.
- Print coupons are more popular among baby boomers than digital coupons.
The Latest Statistics on the use of Digital Coupons:
Experts predict that print coupons will disappear in 2022 and digital coupons will become more popular in 2022, with 145.3 million users by the end of the year. In 2016, there were 126.8 million digital coupon users, and that number has been steadily increasing since then.
- According to research, 96% of millennial parents and 92% of slightly older parents use digital coupons.
- With a 77% greater digital coupons redemption rate than print coupons, consumer preferences support this rate,
- 65.1% prefer to get coupons through digital platforms such as email, websites, and mobile apps.
- Digital couponing used by Baby Boomers is only 64%.
So will the Print Coupons Disappear in the Coming Years?
As the statistics show that print coupons usage is getting lower with each passing year.
It’s safe to say they will be gone in less than a year and a half. In any case, a growing number of stores are just not accepting print coupons.
However, anything that may be construed as bad news for print coupons is good news for a company that focuses on digital coupons. Boal says in Authority Magazine “Coupon inserts printed on print are just not an effective vehicle for stores, brands, or customers"
While the end of print coupons has been predicted as part of a larger shift to digital, the future may not be that clear.
Other Coupon Stats that should be known
- With elderly buyers, Online Coupons are getting Popular:
Seniors are discovering the joy of using internet coupons and promo codes. In 2016, the number of persons aged 50 and above who utilized online coupons more than doubled, rising from 7% to 17%.
- Shoppers are reducing the amount of cutting:
Printed coupons continue to rule the market in some ways, although they aren't as popular as they once were. In 2016, only 63.9 % of shoppers claimed they used them, compared to 58% in 2014, and as I previously said that the experts assume that In 2022 these printed coupons will disappear.
- Every American might receive over 1,000 Coupons every year:
Americans receive a variety of coupons each year, thanks to the Sunday newspaper, weekly postal flyers, and digital deals. In the United States, 169 billion of these little money-savers were issued in 2016.
- A lot of people uses Coupons:
One of the best things about coupons is that they can be used by anyone to save money on almost anything, and they are doing so in large numbers. In fact, 96% of Americans say they use coupons at least once a year.
- More businesses are using Text Messaging to distribute Coupons:
Receiving advertising on your phone can be irritating, but it's worth it if it means you'll have more money in your pocket.
In 2018, 34.9% of customers said they used their phones to receive coupons through text messages, and 59% said they would receive them more frequently if they were free.
- Smart savers don't waste time taking advantage of Special Deals:
Some coupons are valid for months, while others need quick action to take advantage of a great price. Nearly one-third of coupons found on a smartphone or tablet are utilized immediately, while slightly more than 91% of desktop users redeem online coupons within a few days of getting them.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Printable Coupons:
If you’re thinking about handing out coupons, you need to know about their pros and cons:
- Coupons are simple and easy to use.
- Printable coupons help in money-saving. All you have to pay for printing. You can save even more money if you have a printer at home or at work.
- Printable online Sunday newspaper coupons are entirely free.
- Printable coupons are an excellent method to get first dibs on new products at a discounted price.
- Printable coupons frequently come with bonuses, they benefit the organization as well.
- Receiving coupons online can have some unexpected advantages. Signing up for newsletters can provide you with printable coupons.
- People who would buy your products even if they didn't need coupons would get a discount.
- Some users can only use the voucher once and will not come to make a full-price purchase.
- Discounting your items may have a bad impact on the perceived value and quality of your offerings.
- Printable coupons are easier to fake. As a result, when it comes to printable coupons, shops will be stricter.
Using print coupons requires more effort than dealing with digital coupons at the register.
Even as digital coupons become more popular, print coupon publishers and processors will maintain that their products are more robust, dependable, and tried-and-true.
In the meanwhile, all you can do is try to save money wherever you can and use coupons whenever possible. Whatever your purpose for using print or digital coupons, print still works just as well as digital. Senior elderly, in particular, require print coupons to do their best. So, it's not true that print coupons will disappear completely in 2022 but their usage ratio is decreasing because this generation prefers to pay using their smartphones rather than a physical credit card.